Sunday, February 01, 2009

DIY: PVC Bike Holder

When Dr. Josh and I are out running, paddling, whatever, the bikes stay in the transition area. We usually lean them up against a chair or tree. I figured I could make a little something out of PVC that would hold the bikes. I came up with the following...



It’s made from 3/4” PVC. It holds two bikes (though I only had one bike to show… the other bike simply faces the other direction)…



I created it in such a way that when the bike is not in use, you can pull up the vertical pieces (wheel holders) and store them horizontally like so…



This makes it easier to transport to the races, carry, etc.

(Looking directly down on it in the collapsed state)...



You need the following if you want to make one:
  • ~20' - 3/4” PVC. I used thin-walled pipe to make it as light as possible. If you want to use the thicker-walled stuff, you certainly can.
  • 12 - 90s
  • 16 - Ts
  • PVC glue
The cut list is as follows:
  • 2 - 3" pieces
  • 8 - 2-1/2" pieces
  • 2 - 9" pieces
  • 12 - 1-3/4" pieces
  • 4 - 14" pieces
  • 2 - 11-3/4" pieces
  • 4 - 22-1/2" pieces
Below is where the pieces go...



Now I didn't call out the 90s and Ts, but you can obviously see them.

All connections are glued EXCEPT the bottoms of the vertical pieces (wheel holders). They are to remain dry. In other words, the holes for holding the wheel holders vertical, and the holes used to store the wheel holders are NOT glued.

I reckon there are more uses and other variations, but this one met our needs. Feel free to experiment.Total cost... $11.01.

No comments:

Post a Comment