Thursday, July 02, 2009

It's About Time...

Omega. James Bond wears one. Cindy Crawford wears one too. I reckon I got Seamaster prior to seeing 007 or the former supermodel sporting theirs. It was a graduation present to myself after completing grad school with honors no less!

I saw the retail price of the Omega Seamaster is now $2,000, though it appears they are frequently on sale for $1,500ish. I damned sure didn’t pay that in 2000 when I got mine; I guess I spent a little less than a grand on it at the time. It seems to have been a wise investment on my part–that is, as long as someone would be willing to give me more than I paid for it.

Timex. My original Iron Man died about a year and a half ago. I bought a new one in Singapore. I think I paid about $70 for it. And the old one didn’t really die, the Velcro just stopped Velcro-ing, and the watch would fall off my arm if I wasn’t careful. By default, I am not careful.

I got to thinking… $1,500 vs. $70. The Omega is over 21 times the price of the Timex. And for what? Well, let’s see…

My Omega tells time. It’s pretty. It’s heavy. I get complimented on it a couple of times a year. It tells me the day of the month as long as I advance it on the months when there are less than 31 days…and as long as the minute hand is not covering the spot at the three o’clock position where the date shows.

My Timex tells time. If I want (and I do), I can have it beep on the hour. It also displays the time in military time. It has a 100-hour chronograph with lap or split option. It has a very bright light so I can tell the time in the dark. It’s water resistant to 330 feet. It has five alarms and keeps time in two time zones. It has a reminder thing that allows me to plug in birthdays and such. It automatically knows if there are less than 31 days in a month. It also tells me the day of the week and year.

I’m scratching my head wondering why I needed to pay 21 times more for the Omega.

Anyone want to buy an Omega Seamaster? It really is pretty...

No comments:

Post a Comment